Sunday, January 12, 2003

There's one good reason to watch Saturday Night Live these days.

Tina Fey.

Not that the glasses are all that sexy. It's that whole package. Intelligence. Wit. Timing. Especially wit. Wit can be very sexy. Intelligent wit even more so. You know that the conversation is never going to be dull, and if there's a lull, you'll find a way to fill it. You can have all the Pam Andersons. (By the way, if you like intelligent wit in large doses, check out Tequila Mockingbird. Julia is a major gem, although she's about as willing to capitalize as k.d. lang. Or e.e. cummings.).

That got me thinking about movie moments that I've found surprisingly hot.

Patricia Richardson vamping with Tim Allen on Home Improvement. I could tell that my life was making a major shift when I started finding TV moms hot and ingénues annoying. Interesting thing – I saw her in Ulee's Gold. No reaction. Just goes to show – heat is a result of chemistry.

Amy Madigan debating book burning with the school board in Field of Dreams. Is it just me, or did Kevin Costner's character hit the jackpot when he married her? I've always liked her work, and it makes me feel good to know that she and Ed Harris are still married and still together.

Ellen Burstyn in Same Time, Next Year. I've always loved her work – I think she's one of our finest American Actresses, witnessed by the fact that she's one of the Governors of the New School, home of Inside the Actor's Studio. And in this film she is so incredibly sexy over an entire lifetime that you have no doubt that Alan Alda will be back year after year.

Diana Rigg in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It was the one and only James Bond movie with George Lazenby, and, for my money, the one movie that captured the Bond from the books. And this was before Diana Rigg made the big splash as everyone's heartthrob, Emma Peel on The Avengers. She played a Countess, Tracy. And it's the one and only time you will see James Bond act toward a woman from his heart and not with his 007.

Annette O'Toole in Cross My Heart. I have a weakness for redheads, ever since I used to follow Debbie around the halls of my junior high school – three years worth (cute sidebar: I wound up sitting next to her on a flight from Spokane to Seattle and didn't recognizer her until she smiled at someone on her way out the door. I never had a chance to say hello, but I could never talk to her in junior high, either). Annette O'Toole was sexy even though she was acting with Martin Short. Now THAT's sexiness.

Kathleen Quinlan in that TV series where she had her own law firm – with Dixie Carter. There was a scene in one of the first episodes, after her husband dumps her and takes all the client files with him, where she just explodes. Winds up dancing around in lingerie, stockings and gargers. It was powerful, and it was sexy as hell.

There's a great French film that I found sweet and erotic and a treat – The Hairdresser's Husband. Anna Galiena and Jean Rochefort star. Check it out. Rent the version with English subtitles – the language only adds another layer to the film's erotic appeal.

Katherine Ross – in a movie that's run every once in a while on TV these days called The Empty Copper Sea. It was an attempt to make a movie out of Travis McGee, the terrific character John D. MacDonald created. Amy Madigan was in it, too, by the way. Sam Elliot starred as Travis McGee and did a good job – I have always liked him as an actor. But the scenes between Sam and Katherine were wonderful. No wonder they've been married happily forever and continue to act together whenever possible. You will note that married actors don't always have that on-screen chemistry. Witness Warren Beatty and Annette Bening in Love Affair.

It's not a surprise, but every scene with Diane Lane in Unfaithful was incredibly intense and powerful – sexy and tragic all at the same time. She's my favorite to win an Oscar for Best Actress. And if anyone wonders where that performance came from, just rent a little movie called A Walk on the Moon.

Oh, and the thing that motivates me to continue writing my novel and, following that, the screenplay? That moment where that guy from Life is Beautiful, Roberto Benigni, won an Academy Award, climbed over several rows of seats, ran up the stairs and buried his face in Sophia Loren's cleavage. Now THAT's motivation.

More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home